It's Week Three of the 'Some Girls Bite' read-along and I'm psyched to be taking part. The read-along is being hosted by Jenny, Tina, Rummanah, & Missie, and you can find out more details about the read-along by clicking on the banner above.
Here are the questions for Chapters 9 - 12:
1. Catcher and Ethan share some personality traits. What makes Mallory, Merit, and even us readers attracted to these guys? Would you date/mate with someone like these guys in real life?
I think one main thing they have in common is confidence. Confidence is definitely sexy unless it goes too far over the line into arrogance. They also both seem strong willed and protective, but still willing to accept strong women into their lives. Those are definitely good qualities as well. Neither Catcher nor Ethan are my exact types, but I definitely see the appeal, especially in fiction.
2. In Chapter 9 we learn of another murder. Do you see any patterns with the previous murder and Merit's attack? Do you have any guesses as to who is responsible and the motive behind the murders?
Honestly I had no clue at this point who was killing people or why, but I thought it was creepy how all the victims basically looked like Merit. Definitely a connection there.
3. The commendation is my favorite moment in the book and a significant event in Merit's life. She has finally come to terms that she is a Cadogan vampire. Were you surprised at all that Merit resisted Ethan's call and that he made her a Sentinel? Do you think she'll do while in this position? Why or why not?
I was definitely surprised by her being made Sentinel. It made me wonder about Merit and what Ethan sees in her that will make her good for the job, considering how much she's fought being a vampire and being a part of Cadogan up until now. I wasn't surprised by Merit resisting... there's clearly something special about her as a vampire, which is perhaps part of what Ethan has seen. I'm assuming Merit will do well at whatever she sets her mind to.
4. Loyalty is a reoccurring theme throughout the book and much of this series. Why is it so important to Ethan that he needs Merit's allegiance? Is it solely a Master and sentinel thing or does it imply something else?
I think part of it is a Master/Sentinel thing, and a Master/Novitiate thing. The vampire house structure is so regimented, and there seems to be so much competition out there. Loyalty to your house and your Master seems to be so important, like one of the most important things you can do is serving your master loyally. And then there's the personal aspect between Merit and Ethan, too. I think he feels if he has Merit's loyalty then he also has her respect, because Merit doesn't do anything unless she feels like it's right.
5. If you had the opportunity to sit down with Ethan, Merit, Mallory, and Catcher for a bite to eat like in the beginning of Chapter 12, what questions would you ask them at this point of the story?
I think I would ask them questions unrelated to the story/plot... I'd ask Merit about her studies and what drew her to English Literature. I'd ask Ethan about his life and about all the changes he's seen, and whether he thinks he experienced them differently as a vampire than as the humans he lived alongside. And I'd probably ask Catcher and Mallory about magic... I'd especially ask Catcher about his past.